You CAN Use Foil in the Microwave

November 19, 2009 at 4:45 am 13 comments

Yes, foil can be used in your microwave and I’ll bet you’ve already done it without knowing.

I discovered this, and I’m ashamed to admit it, when I actually read the manual for my Microwave.  Most people don’t believe this because they’ve always been strictly warned against using metal in the microwave — warned they’ll have to call for appliance repair if they do.  I can’t blame them, even fellow blogger, Tinfoil Chef suggests that tin foil not be used in the microwave and there are lots of videos on youtube (like the one below) of foil being used incorrectly in the microwave.

But, there is good reason to use foil in the microwave and most people aren’t doing it.

First, let’s take a step back.  Your food is heated by absorbing microwaves, but tin foil does not allow microwaves to pass through it.  In other words, tin foil shields your food from microwaves.  That can be used to your advantage!

This microwave user manual (pdf) suggests, “Thin areas of meat and poultry cook more quickly than meaty portions. To prevent overcooking, these thin areas can be shielded with strips of aluminum foil. Wooden toothpicks may be used to hold the foil in place.” [Page 25]

The next time you put a frozen mini pizza in the microwave, look closely at the top of the stand that the box turns into.  That silver sheet under the pizza actually reflects microwaves so the pizza cooks more evenly with a crispier crust.

If you buy microwavable soups that have a peel back metal lid, there is a rim of metal left over.  The side of the carton comforts consumers by saying, “Remaining metal rim is microwavable.”  They have to say this, because most people don’t believe you can put metal in the microwave.

Some microwaves come with a metal probe that you can use inside the microwave to monitor the temperature of your food.  Some microwaves even have metal shelves inside of them!  So, don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t use metal in your microwave, the key is to know when and how to use it.

The USDA has guidelines for safely using foil in the microwave here.  Before trying it, be sure to check your microwave’s manual for official warning and usage guidelines.

BrokenSecrets.com

Entry filed under: Despite Popular Belief, Food and Drink, ProTips. Tags: .

The Secret Marks on McDonald’s Cups

• 1. Aluminum Foil Retainers « Broken Secrets  |  April 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm

[...] no surprise there are a lot of aluminum foil secrets. For example, most people don’t realize there is a proper use for aluminum foil in the microwave, the FDA even has guidelines for [...]

• 2. Nikola Malesevic  |  November 19, 2010 at 9:48 am

Happy birthday, first broken secret!

• 3. OHT  |  March 20, 2011 at 12:01 am

Well, you can, but it won’t always turn out too well. It can cause a fire.

• [...] you’ve all read Chad’s previous posts about aluminum foil retainers or how to properly use aluminum foil in the microwave. The post about aluminum foil retainers is a life [...]

• 5. Archippo Rizzo  |  October 8, 2011 at 3:30 am

This is really a nice blog. I really very interested to read this blog.Again I will back to this blog soon.

work lockers

• 6. 'Lia  |  January 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

weird video

• 7. Sheogorath  |  May 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm

This article reminded me of when various things got microwaved with explosive results in Brainiac: Science Abuse. I wonder why they never tried microwaving thin air? According to Wikipedia, microwaving nothing will also lead to an explosion.

• 8. binnos  |  June 21, 2012 at 6:06 am

haha this site is hillarious.. a whole story about that. Enthralling stuff.

• 9. Ron  |  March 8, 2013 at 1:31 pm

We use stainless steel nails to bake potatoes. They heat the potatoes much more quickly and evenly.

• 10. Joe  |  August 27, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I burned out my microwave by thinking that the dripping wet just-cleaned-glass could be dried by running it empty for a minute. DUH!

• 11. CSharp  |  September 24, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’m not sure I feel safe taking advice from someone who believes that grey stuff microwave pizza companies put in the packaging actually crisps the crust. I have NEVER had anything cooked on or under that stuff ever get crispy. NOTHING. I do, however, have a bridge I’d like to sell the author of this article…

• 12. edthlion  |  April 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Did you ever use crisper sleeves?

• 13. edthlion  |  April 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I discovered that a spoon in my coffee cup didn’t do anything a few years ago but that is not general knowledge and someone might jump all over you if you happen to leave your spoon in your coffee or tea cup in the microwave and they find it. Yes, SIR!