Military Contractors Built Flying Saucers

January 16, 2013 at 2:00 am 5 comments

By Chad Upton | Editor

I’ve been writing Broken Secrets for a little over 3 years and UFOs are something I wanted to cover at some point. It’s a difficult subject; there’s so much information, mostly poor or difficult to confirm information and little that seems reliable and interesting. But there are also some little gems that are compelling and enlightening.

cutaway

A UFO is simply an Unidentified Flying Object. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s alien — just that you’re not going to find someone who knows what it is or be willing identify it if they are one of the few who may know.

In May of 2011, the public got an unplanned unveiling of the US Military’s “Stealth Hawk” Helicopter when it was damaged during the raid on Osama Bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan. Technically, it’s still a UFO since we don’t know exactly what it is — educated guesses are that it is a heavily modified Sikorsky MH-60M Black Hawk.

Back in 2007, another top secret stealth aircraft was discovered: the RQ-170 Sentinel spy drone. About a year later, Iran claimed to capture one — multiple news sources claim U.S. government sources have confirmed Iran’s possession of the drone. If it weren’t for the discovery a year earlier, it would have been considered a UFO too.

Stealth helicopters and drones are not what people typically think of when they hear “UFO”. The stereotypical UFO from the 1950s looks like a flying saucer. In recently declassified documents, it turns out there were in fact full sized flying saucers in development.

avrocar

It’s widely known in aviation circles that the small flying saucer Avrocar  was in development and being tested by the US military. But, the much larger designs seemed more like science fiction than reality.

project1974

Two Avrocars were delivered to the US military for testing. That was after extensive testing and development work was done on a larger scale flying saucer, the PV-704. The Avrocar was built when constant challenges facing the PV-704 test model warranted a smaller proof-of-concept be constructed.

The Avrocar worked. It took off vertically and moved forward but it was eventually scrapped because it was under-powered and difficult to control. It’s possible that today’s engines, building materials and computer systems might be able to make a better Avrocar.

declassified

In the recent declassified documents we see the drawings for the large “Project 1794″ saucer and the sketches are quite beautiful. Since the proof-of-concept didn’t work well, the plans for the larger saucer designs were also scrapped.

60 years later, these declassified documents show that science fiction of the 1950s was pretty accurate about secret military projects of their time. When we look at today’s sci-fi, is that what they’re building behind closed doors now?

Broken Secrets | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Kindle

Sources: national archivesabc news, defense reviews, wired, wikipedia (avrocar)

Photos: Wikimedia commons (public domain), national archives

Entry filed under: Demystified, Despite Popular Belief. Tags: , , .

We’re Running Out of Helium and We Need It There are 90 Seconds in a Moment

• 1. James  |  January 16, 2013 at 2:13 am

My Dad was with the 409 Nighthawks(Canada).
    In the early 70’s,they chased a few UFO”s in the Nova Scotia area.
    They figure the UFO was able to hover,then take off at over 3500 mph.
    Food for though eh?

James/Kitchener Ont.

• 2. Max  |  January 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm

In 1979 I was in SW Scotland about 3 miles from the town of Moffat at the edge of a river at 2 a.m. It was pitch black one minute and next I was standing in bright white light. I looked up and approx 50ft above my head was a bright white spherical object. It was the size of a football pitch and I knew at that moment it was not of this world. There was a very faint humming sound and four smaller objects emerged from the large one. I remember feeling dizzy and then I blacked out. The next thing I remembered, I was lying on the ground about quarter of a mile away looking up at the object. It moved slowly away from me to the east and then accelerated away so fast that it disappeared from sight in about 6 seconds. I ran all the way home – about a mile away and found that I had lost two hours and I had a pain in my thumb. I have a dark object under the flesh in my thumb which is sometimes sore and quite visible. I have often lost time – usually about an hour – since then, though I have never seen an object like that again, since that August night 33 years ago.

• 3. BillyBobThorton  |  June 14, 2013 at 7:12 am

I laugh at people who believe in aliens, because aliens wouldn’t need scrap metal to build them a flying saucer. Humans are so easy to fool.

• 4. Raluca  |  January 15, 2014 at 5:16 am

Max, weren’t you curious to go to the doctor and find out what that black object in your thumb is?

• 5. duh  |  March 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm

yeah he sure was.. except his story is Bullshit