Automatically Add WWW. and .COM to a Website Address

January 6, 2010 at 12:12 am 5 comments

Because I spend so much time on the internet, I have bookmarked hundreds of websites, maybe thousands. They’re neatly organized into folders by category, some of them 8 folders deep. But, I rarely see anyone else use bookmarks — I know that you’re typing in the address for many of the sites you visit.

This secret will save you some keystrokes.

Instead of typing “www.BrokenSecrets.com” and then hitting enter, just type “BrokenSecrets” and press CTRL+ENTER (Mac users use COMMAND + RETURN). That will automatically add “www.” to the beginning and “.com” to the end.

For those who have no idea what I’m talking about, look at the top of your web browser (the program you’re using to view this site).  You’ll see a text input area that starts with, “http://brokensecrets.com”.  That is where you can type web addresses that you’d like to visit.  For most sites, you need to at least type the address and the extension (ex: brokensecrets.com).

In Windows, this works with: FireFox, Internet Explorer and Chrome. On Mac, this works with FireFox and Chrome, but use CTRL + RETURN for Chrome. It does not work in Safari for Mac or Windows.

BrokenSecrets.com

Entry filed under: Computers and Internet, Geek, ProTips. Tags: , , , , , , , .

How to Get Free HDTV Channels Colored Sunglass Lenses Can Improve Your Sight

• 1. Daisy  |  January 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm

this is so useful, thank you!

• 2. Andrei Mancilla  |  April 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Actually, you do not need to press CTRL+ENTER just to fill in “WWW” and “.com”

just type in the domain and hit enter, tadaaa! presto!

For example, type brokensecrets in the adress bar, then hit enter.

• 3. Chad Upton  |  April 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Andrei, your tip is good but it doesn’t work in all browsers.

• 4. Kat  |  May 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

Thank you thank you thank you!

Like you, I have an amazing hierarchy of bookmarks, but there are always new sites to visit. Safari does this automatically, but I’m switching to Chrome for the “each tab in its own process” feature, and every time I entered something along the lines of brokensecrets in the address/search bar (the two are one in Chrome) it would do a search for the term. It was driving me nuts. Seriously, I would hug you right now if I could.

• 5. J Baldo  |  May 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I used to alway use this feature, but I notice in the lastest version of Firefox (v.12) it doesn’t work anymore! :( Very frustrating.